Sunday, July 13, 2008

I Will Eat My Bread if I Want To

"Mommy, I want some bread"

"Owen, I want you to eat a taco first and after you eat your taco, you can have a piece of zucchini bread".

He marches over to the counter and reaches up to get the bread anyway.

"Owen, I do not want you to eat bread before dinner"

As he is picking up the bread, Greg takes the bread and puts in on top of the fridge. Not be stopped, Owen slides over a chair and reaches with all he has up towards the top of the fridge. The bread is still looming at the top and he says he really really wants some bread.


"You can have some bread after dinner".

He looks around with a plan in his head. He glances over to the counter. Greg is making tacos with various supplies and ingredients. If I could read his mind, I am sure it would say something like this... "so I can't reach the bread, I really want this bread, I really want to do exactly what my mother doesn't want me to do, I must figure out how to get that bread down. let me see, ah ha... the CHEESE!

I will stand on the cheese!! Brilliant!".

He still couldn't reach, but figured he was onto to something. He grabbed a bag containing squash and zucchini and placed the bag on the cheese. Greg didn't want his lunch for tomorrow to be used as a stool so he gently persuaded Owen away from this potentially life threatening line of reasoning.

He ate his taco, forgot about the bread, took a bath, snuggled with his mom and was asleep at 7:45.

I should have just given him the bread.

1 comment:

Momma J said...

This is the cutest story, Jen. I love to see Owen so creative and determined! He is the most brilliant grandson!