Sunday, November 18, 2007

Back to Writing


I have been wanting to post something lately but I had writer's block. Greg helped get me going again..we were on our way to Angie's house yesterday, she and I were having a spa party, (not our fault) and Greg was going to the batting cages with Steve. We were driving and I said "I forgot the camera". Greg said, "Oh, I was going to bring the video camera". The words and thoughts I have been holding inside suddenly came flooding to the front ready to be shared. Greg wanted to bring the video camera to the batting cages to film himself. It is after all the offseason, time to prepare!


This spa party that we had turned out ok. I was invited to one a few weeks ago by one of the mom's in Owen's music class. Angie and I went together. It is similar to Pampered Chef or a candle party except we had pedicures and learned about products for pampering (body scrubs, lotions, etc.). The part we were afraid of came, the end. It was time to order. We browsed the catalog as though we were going to buy something. We conversed about the products as though we were interested. We ended up with a $4.00 product. We felt a little guilty, but at least we were leaving with our money. Then came the worst part, the girl in charge asked us about hosting a party. We suddenly had a date of 11/17. The guilty feelings subsided - now the host got a half price item! We could host a party.

So, we invited 3 of our closest and only friends and our step-mom who luckily found a friend to bring and we had our own party yesterday. We ate food, had pedicures, talked a little - basically participated in a real social event. Hooray. We ended up with a free item each and one half-priced item each. We fell for the half priced item and spent some more money, but we had fun.

Owen had his first birthday party today. His friend, Aspen, from music class was turning two. He and I bought a walking dinosaur and headed over. There were only three little kids there (Aspen, Owen and Eli) and the rest were family. I am so impressed with myself - two social events completely out of my comfort zone in two days. Hooray me. Owen put stickers on a balloon, licked a cupcake and played with his two friends. We had a good time.

During the party someone asked Sabrina (Aspen's mom) about the Kindermusik class. She scrunched up her face and the person said as though they knew the answer "kind of dumb?". She said she didn't like it and that is isn't enough activity for her son. I thought how interesting that two people could do the same thing and yet have completely different thoughts and experiences from it. Owen and I love it. I think putting him in the class was one of the best things I have done for him. He participates fully throughout the class, he listens to the teacher, he does exactly what she tells him too, he wants to sing the songs after class and he can't wait to go back. He wanted me to sing a song from the last class, I couldn't remember it so I emailed his teacher. She wrote me back the words and the notes. I was able to play it on the piano and sing it to Owen. He has been so sad since the last class and he tells everyone that he didn't get to give his teacher a big hug and kiss. We said bye to her about three times last Wednesday and walked out, he yelled Wait! and told me he didn't say bye. We went back in and said bye again. We walked out and he yelled Wait! and stuck out his lips to kiss the teacher. I am not sure she is ready for that yet and I told him we would see her next time. He yelled Wait! and said big hug. She was busy so I told him next time - big mistake. He tells everyone that he is sad. I know things like this aren't for everyone, I just find it interesting how the same thing can give people such different outcomes.

I was driving the other day and told Emilee that I couldn't talk cause I had a frog in my throat. Owen got a strange look on his face and said "mommy, dabada (frog) in trote". I love kids, everything is so simple. He actually thought I had a frog in my throat, which of course he would.

My favorite show ends tomorrow, The Bachelor, my vote is still for Jenny. Off to watch The Amazing Race.....

2 comments:

Critter said...

Hooray for the Amazing Race! That's my favorite show! Somehow I became a reality show junkie. Not too sure how that happened. I'm not sure who I want to win yet. None of the teams have impressed me much yet. I hate the blonde women though. So what if Burkina Faso smells! You're in Africa! Enjoy it!!

Anonymous said...

What happened on the bachelor? Kelli and I were watching and waiting and feeling sad that Jenn didn't get picked and then he does this crazy thing and blows off Deanna. I think he is a commitment phobe. I was very disappointed!