Friday, March 1, 2013

I will not be lame

During January, Greg sent me a link to go see the snowy owls that migrate to Ocean Shores during the winter months.  He thought it would be fun to take Owen and go.  I do not do anything exciting, so I am sure when I called him at work one day and told him we were going to Ocean Shores that weekend, he was shocked.  I like to do the same thing and keep order, yet at the same time crave chaos and constantly need to be doing something.   (I just read that line and wonder how I even exist.)

Even though it was my own plan, I was a little weary about going, but as I discussed this with myself, in my head, not out loud, I came to the conclusion that the decision to go wasn’t for me, but for the rest of them.  My people don’t care if we are home early for bed before school.  They certainly don’t care if the weekend is spent driving to see owls, leaving no time for cleaning.  They most definitely don’t care that packing is stressful and that there is so much to do before we go.  They only care that we are going and that they will get chips in the car (kettle brand, non-GMO of course) and their pajamas will be there when we get there.

I made the decision to go.

It couldn’t be that easy.  (As if getting to that point was easy..).   I fought with myself some more as I now questioned whether we should stay in a hotel or make it a day trip.  Then my fun self told my lame self that a day trip is totally not fabulous and I reminded myself that I want my kids to remember me one day as someone fabulous and amazing and honestly, how unamazing is a day trip?!

I made the decision to stay overnight.

Of course I was not done with the self talk.  I further pondered the question as to why I am so lame, self analyzed a bit more, decided to change my ways, invented the “I will not be lame: 12 trips of 2013” and we drove away to search for owls, gather rocks on the beach, freeze our butts off, eat somewhere delicious, munch down ice cream, swim in the hotel pool, enjoy the continental breakfast, sleep till we were done, and head home when we felt like it. 

It was fabulously amazing.

IMG_6263IMG_6277IMG_6284

IMG_6311IMG_6313IMG_6316

IMG_6383IMG_6407IMG_6357

IMG_6425IMG_6452 1IMG_6454 1

IMG_6467

IMG_6484IMG_6495IMG_6382

IMG_6441-001IMG_6416

IMG_6287IMG_1697-001

IMG_1688-001

1 comment:

jettsons said...

I love your organized chaos :) That is one of my favorite things about you. A spontaneous planner. You are a contradiction and that makes you so great!