Thursday, September 6, 2012

And then there was one

I am not sure how we got here, the place at the end of the summer where we start school all over again.

The summer wasted no time in ending and brought about Owen's first day of first grade, Ivy's first day of preschool and Autumn's first day of being the only one at home four days a week.

Owen went from a private kindergarten to the dreaded public school. I wish the school system would update itself and fix some things, but this is a happy post not a rant, although I do have a lot to say lately about a lot of things, maybe next post.

I dropped Owen off at school on Wednesday and he stood outside the car with his backpack and the biggest smile on his face. He waved and waved before being guided to his line. As I looked at him standing there, I started to cry. The tears were unexpected really, and they weren't because I was sad he was big (well a little of that, I miss him all day) but mostly that he was ready. He was so big and so brave just bounding off to school. He just looked so sweet standing there as he proudly waved, I couldn't stop the tears.

I anxiously waited for pickup time and, after an intense lesson about pickup from my neighbor and a teeny mistake on my part where I blocked the entire exit for all the parents, I picked up his smiley self and we declared the first day a success. He was quick to report that he had been there for 6 hours and I should realize that and pick him up a little sooner. I made a note of that for him.

I mostly enjoyed hearing about the part of school where I forgot to pack him a drink in his home lunch. After inquiring as to how he resolved this problem, he sheepishly smiled and then gleefully let me know that they sell chocolate milk at school. Someone was sure he had money on his account and gave him the milk. He probably thought school was so amazing, here he was left to his own thirsty devices with no choice other than to order himself a forbidden chocolate milk.

Owen likes school with the exception that it is too long. Today he insisted it was his third day of school when in fact it was the second. It really must seem long considering he gained an entire day in there.

And next, we had Muffy heading off to preschool today. We carefully picked out her first day outfit, little bird leggings with a matching sweater dress. She really wanted two side ponytails and one in the back. I worked my last little bit of magic I have left on her and managed to only do two (although I had to promise three on Monday). I had a picture perfect girl ready for school, and then, I heard the dreaded words: I don't want to wear this. Nooooooooo!! We almost made it to school with matching clothes and really cute hair..... but that wouldn't be very Muffy like now would it, and what's the fun of matching anyway. Clearly brown bird pants go much better with a bluish-green polka dot shirt anyway.

She loved her school and loved telling Owen about her day. I learned she did not have snack cause we forgot to bring one (I wish things were explained better in schools). Owen explained the concept of one person bringing it for everyone to share. I also learned everyone sang songs except her and the little green guy (the kid in the green jacket of course, not an imaginary alien, like she would have an imaginary alien-like friend when she has her imaginary friend Luko, the little girl). Upon questioning, I was informed simply: she didn't want to sing.

So now I feel like my brain may explode as I figure out their schedules, their lessons, the carpool, the lunches, the snacks, the getting up early, the going to bed struggles, and the homework, all the while making sure my own life doesn't disappear.

Well, here's to a great school year and hoping my brain doesn't explode!

3 comments:

lorioreo said...

I hope Grandmas are allowed to shed a tear or two when these milestones occur because my eyes are leaking! These adorable firsts only happen once. Enjoy and treasure. Thanks for sharing these important moments with those of us so far away. You are a great mom! Love all of you!!

Joyce said...

Ivy is adorable. I love her outfit. I love your tiny mistake of blocking the whole driveway for all the other parents and shedding unexpected tears when Owen went to school...

Momma J said...

I'm so glad you recorded this day. I know we all shed tears on the big firsts, but I didn't record them. The last tears I shed on "my sons" were when Greg left on the plane for Panama and David left on the plane for Oregon. I cried alot - two years seemed like such a long time - and they were 19 years old. Once a mom - always a mom and I feel those same tears reading your blog.