Thursday, March 5, 2009

Disneyland - Part 1


I brought my computer to California specifically to blog. I knew that once we got back I would get caught up in life again and slowly the details would fall out of my head. I tried to blog on my trip, I really did - but the world's slowest Internet connection made it impossible. So here I am with a million pictures and a lot to say! I have a pile of Hershey's Kisses, I am ready.....

It wouldn't be a vacation without a continental hotel breakfast to start the day. We had cereal in the hotel, but I opted for the continental donut. Mmmm Mmmmm. I was ready for Disneyland now.

The park opened at 10:00, we packed up for the day and headed over. Our hotel was across the street, we enjoyed a nice short walk to our day of fun. I was curious what Owen must be thinking. Up to this point he has heard so much about Disneyland. He has heard about the fun from my yoga class, preschool, music class, strangers in the store who were told we going, and people at Greg's work to name a few. I am sure I gave it much more thought than he did, he acted like it was any other day and said he just wanted to hold his cousin's hand.

We spent the day riding rides, eating food (there is something so yummy about the pineapple and grapes they have at Disneyland), enjoying the warm weather, enjoying being away, and waiting in minimal lines. It seems I spent most of the day on the Buzz Lightyear ride with Owen and his cousins. Being 5 months pregnant limited my riding ability. Greg got soaked on Splash Mountain and spent the day wet (better him than me).

I have been to Disneyland more times than I can count, however, this was a first for me to take my sweet little boy. It was so fun being able to enjoy the day through his eyes, to see his excitement as he told me about the pirate ride, to see him intently riding the yellow submarine watching Nemo swim out in the ocean, to hold him as he fought sleep trying so hard to stay awake in the Tiki Room, to see him enjoy his chicken nuggets with hundreds of packets of ketchup that he had to open and pour himself, to see him enjoy what may have been his first churro (it made it even better that it was Greg's churro that quickly was lost to little 3 year-old hands), to buy him the big Woody doll that he then wouldn't let go of the rest of the day, to see his pirate face and hear the soft little words coming from his stroller all day - Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirate's life for me..., to watch him enjoy his family and love his cousins, to feel a touch of sadness as he picked his Grandpa Geoffrey to be his ride partner on the Haunted Mansion, but also feeling happiness that he knew his Grandpa would keep him safe when he was obviously a little scared, (I was then able to enjoy the ride with Greg and know that Owen was safe).

There was something so magical about sharing this day with Owen. And as we left the park with a little boy who was asleep before we hit the exit, I was reminded that I love my life.








We ended the day perfectly, with a hot chocolate from IHOP. I even had two.


It was time to sleep, tomorrow was another day, another adventure, another day of firsts, another day of fun.

1 comment:

Patti :) said...

It is so funny you said that about the pineapple and grapes, when I was there when I was pregnant with Brenden that was my favorite part!! Being pregnant makes fruit taste so much better!! Especially if you enjoy it listening to disney songs over the loud speaker and looking at Cinderella's castle.