Saturday, October 25, 2008

I love Oprah but...

I really enjoy watching Oprah. I think she has so many wonderful shows that are both educational and entertaining, HOWEVER.... I have a strong dislike for her taste in financial gurus. For the love of Pete, can she please stop having shows featuring Suze Ormann??? She is not only a little displeasing to look at, but the words that come out of her mouth make me want to jump through the television and strangle her. If I hear her say one more time that if you choose to pay your rent rather than pay your student loan payment you are being dishonest to yourself and to the company, I will have to start writing letters. Furthermore, (this is a ranting blog) an 8 month emergency fund would be nice, but come on!! People are struggling, people have no money to eat.

I am qualified to have these opinions because I am a bankruptcy attorney. I deal with people all day long that are barely making it. This isn't because they used credit cards to buy televisions, or furniture. It is because they used credit cards to eat, to drive to work, to LIVE.

Credit card companies are predators. They are evil. Of course someone is going to live on their credit cards when they have no job and can't afford the groceries. Seriously. It is tiring.

Don't worry, next time I will delete the Oprah that says Suze Ormann in the info box so I can actually write a nice blog.

At least something good can come from this....I love my job, I love helping people who have been struggling for months and years to make it and to pay off their debt. I love bankruptcy and the positive changes it can bring to someone's life.

I love the client that starts crying in my office because they will finally sleep at night and can stop worrying. I love the client that says we were sent to them from someone up above and we are the answers to their prayers. I love the client that brings Angie and Ben flowers and a card for all of their work. I love the client that pays the bankruptcy payment every month and is never late. I love the client that tells Emilee we can call at any time of any day because he considers us family. I love the client that says she has been helped more by my dad and I than all the therapists in her life. I love the client that tells my dad I am in great shape (that has nothing to do with this post, but I do love that).

In summary:
I will not watch Suze Ormann. I love my job. I love bankruptcy.

3 comments:

Emilee said...

I am weeping, because I love my job too and all of the people that are struggling are finally able to make ends meet. I love the client who send me an survey email for her 7th grader that has nothing to do with her case. For sure, don't watch Oprah on those days!!

Patti :) said...

I don't like Oprah ont hose days either-that lady is so snotty!!

Momma J said...

Jen, I think you should send your comments to Oprah. It would be nice for her to hear your side...I see an invite to her show....!!!!