Friday, May 9, 2008

Still Alive

I made it, the week is over and somehow I am still alive. I am still alive after teaching the yoga class by myself. I am still alive after the day I had with Owen. I am still alive after my first board meeting for Owen's preschool. I am still alive after worrying about Owen's lost boots. I am still alive after highlighting my hair. I made it and the week is over.

Each week I try harder and harder to practice what I preach and be present in my life, attempting to live each day with a profound awareness of my thoughts and action. I do my best, yet each week I find the all too common question falling off my tongue, "how did it get to be Friday!". Where was I as the sun came up and passed effortlessly through the sky. Then I realize, I was here...... cleaning up after Owen.
The story that the pictures fail to tell is that this mess occurred after he dumped out thousands of paper clips in my office and showered himself and the floor with them, that this mess occurred after he took a key and threw it in the computer server and destroyed the fan causing the fan to make a horrible sound and leaving me no choice but to tell my dad what happened, that this mess occurred with an extremely stinky diaper, that this mess and all of the previously listed events occurred in about 7 minutes.

The pictures also fail to tell the story of Ben and Owen's altercation. Owen runs in my office which is still covered in paper clips, and says "excuse me mommy, excuse me mommy" (I am on the phone and so he uses his softest loud voice he knows how to use), "ben be reawy mean to owen". And then he runs away (back to ben of course). Then I hear Ben yelling, "Owen, what are you doing, stop that right now, why would you do that. Owen!!!". I cannot contain myself, the shear chaos has me laughing so hard - clearly not helping anyone. Ben is doing what he can to sweep up the mess before we vacuum, as he sweeps the little shred pieces into a pile, Owen picks up the pile and showers himself with shredded paper. Ben was not be beat. He is now pushing Owen away with the broom. Owen is wildly picking up the pieces and throwing them with all his might. Owen picks up handfuls of the pieces and starts to run around the office making little piles. Ben is yelling for him to get back in the office with the paper and to stop that right now. I am laughing. Owen sits on the floor and Ben pins him to the floor with the broom. Owen's face is on the floor and he is being held down by the broom. I am still laughing so hard. I finally stop laughing and distract Owen enough to allow the room to be cleaned. Then in his most stern voice he has, Ben comes out and closes the door and instructs Owen to stay out of the room. Oh how I love Ben and Owen.

Perhaps we will wait awhile before we go back to the office.

1 comment:

Emilee said...

Owen was doing some of this to bug Ben!! Ha ha - I can just picture it.