Saturday, January 5, 2008

Never as Planned



So, Angie and I had our new yoga session start last Thursday. We teach for 5 Thursdays and the class is a pre-pay. The Thursday sessions weren't going to start until February but our class from last time asked us to start sooner. I was able to work it out with the city that we are employed by. This was an unadvertised class and we knew we had 7 people coming that have been doing yoga with us for some time. Ang and I were excited and got to class early on Thursday to prepare. We discussed what we are going to do and decided it was time to really push everyone. We practiced a really hard class and wrote down all the new things we were going to do. It was time to unlock the doors. We were sitting there with about 10 minutes left before the super challenging hard class was to begin. We hear the door close, our students are arriving. Hope they are ready for this class we have planned we think to ourselves. This class will be great. Then, in walks a couple we have never seen before. They appear to be holding what could be a yoga mat but we aren't quite sure. We look at each other with questioning faces. They sit down and start taking off their shoes. It seems like they are here for our class. Angie and I are nervously assessing the situation....maybe they are here to watch, maybe they are in the wrong place. I ask them if they are here for yoga and they say yes with excited trusting eyes. I ask them, "Have you done yoga before". "No", they say. Panic begins to set in. Why would we panic because a couple walks in we have never seen before. Well, the class that we have planned will probably not work for our new 61 year-old students, oh and especially for the husband who walks with a cane. In fact, our REGULAR class was out the window too. We had 5 minutes, everyone was coming in, people are handing me registration forms, everyone is setting up their mat and in the meantime we are a million miles away in our heads wondering how will this work, what will we do, dolphin pose is out, maybe we could meditate for the entire class - work on our breathing. The class starts and we settle into the breath. Angie and I exchange worried smiles as the rest of the class is breathing (eyes closed of course). Class begins. We took it slow, got everyone moving. We both felt at times things were going horribly. Suddenly we were in the final relaxation pose and I took a moment to notice the positive calm energy that filled the room. The couple told us after class how wonderful it was and how they felt great to get their bodies moving. The rest of the class thought it was a good class back after the holidays and said they couldn't wait to come back next time.

I forget and the reminder is good - sometimes the best plans are no plans at all.

3 comments:

Momma J said...

Jen,
I love your blog so much. Thanks for doing it - it makes me feel like you guys are right here with me! Congratulations on the Yoga classes - I knew you guys would be a hit!
I print up almost every picture you post....I'm so glad you do. Owen is such a doll and it's great to have pictures of all of you. I love you all so much!
Jayne

Critter said...

Ha! What happens next week?? Does the new couple know you are about to bend them in new and wondrous ways?

Cathy said...

This reminded me of the Yoga class Kelli and I took when she was pregnant. It was awesome but I was usually the poster child of what not to do! We would leave and Kelli would laugh all the way home because they had spent so much time getting me into the right poses and constantly reminding me to breathe. Even though it was hard and sometimes I was embarrassed it was a great experience. In fact...I think we need to get back into it again.
Love you tons,
Aunt Cathy