Monday, August 27, 2012

We almost lost him

That title sounded sweet in my head and then I read it and it looked maybe more dramatic than it is...or maybe not.

The him I am referring to is none other than extra family member: Owl.

He is so old and positively not white, in fact I would venture to say he is more like a permanent shade of grey. I love him so much though. Sometimes, i kiss Owen goodnight while he is asleep and I can't help myself and I kiss that little grey friend on his head too. It isn't that I love owl per se but all the things he represents and I know it is only a matter of time before he is tucked carefully away in a drawer cause he isn't needed anymore.

But for now he is still tucked under his friend's arm and often found by his side and I truly cherish every moment I see that. So, imagine the heartbreak when he went missing last week.

After a quick trip to the new office and a crazy night with Felix and Robee staying over, Owen started to look for owl the next day. We looked and looked and looked and came up empty. This lead us to believe he was at the office. After a trip to the beach to look for crabs, we headed to the office. Again, no owl. We changed our mind and determined he had to be home. After heading home we looked and looked again. I changed my mind again and decided he was at the office while Owen changed his mind and decided he was gone forever. I knew I didn't look all over the office and because moms have super finding powers, I was not calling him gone yet.

I dropped the crew off at the swimming pool and as I knew I could not swim in peace without owl, I went to the office. I started inside and planned to work my way back. I quickly eliminated the first three rooms and headed outside. From the back door I glanced side to side and there he was, favorite guy in the sprinkler ditch by the house. I totally felt like picking him up like a lost child and hugging and kissing him (and may or may not have actually done such a thing. Luckily it was just him and I and Autumn and they both can't talk and I am saying nothing).

So now he is home where he belongs. Owen was thrilled about his return and has held on a little tighter ever since.

And me, I get to watch my son run down the street with his favorite animal tucked under his arm for a little longer.

I know Owen would have been fine, but i sure wasn't ready to lose owl yet.

2 comments:

Momma J said...

15Motherhood is defined once again in your blog Jen. You are sweet and tender and understanding of the things that matter so much to children. I'm so happy that you are mother to my 3 terrific grandchildren in Washington! They will always want you in their lives.

Bits & Pieces said...

Funny, my Mom was asking about owl just yesterday...wondering if he was still around. Now I can gladly report that, "Yes, he is!"