Sunday, August 19, 2012

Please Bless

I am not always present to my kids, sometimes, even just the opposite.  I spend too much time on the computer, I talk on the phone too much, I am constantly looking up information on my phone, I make them watch shows so for a few minutes someone won’t ask me for something, and on occasion, I even send them upstairs to go to bed with the promise I will be right there, while all the while knowing they will fall asleep before I get there. 

The other day I read an article about how many kids are dying because they are left in hot cars.  The article said that it happens when people are out of their normal routine or when a parent that usually doesn’t have the kids is dropping them off.  It mentioned the most recent case of this happening occurred when a mom dropped off her 11 year old at school and then went to drop off her 5 month old at a church daycare but then went home.  She went back that afternoon to pick up the son that was never dropped off at daycare and was informed the child was not dropped off.  It was then discovered that the mom never dropped off the baby, forgot about him, and he subsequently died in the hot car. 

I know that things happen.  I really do.  Autopilot – I am guilty of it time and time again.  It wasn’t the kids being left in the car that bothered me about the article, but the suggestion of a solution.  An app.  There is an app you can install on your phone where you set an alert to remind you that you have your child in the car.  

I forget things, I make promises I don’t keep, I am a technology junkie, and I love my iPhone, but please bless that I don’t rely on that phone one day to remind me that I took my child somewhere with me in the car.  Or, please bless that one day I don’t climb out of the car remembering to take my phone with me, while my precious little babies stay behind. 

An app to remember your baby is just too much and reminds me that life is headed in a direction I don’t want to go. 

Please bless I just remember these guys cause I remember them. 

_MG_4789IMG_0951IMG_1047

1 comment:

jettsons said...

Well said. I admit this brought tears to my eyes just thinking of how this can happen and how people could forget.