Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What do I do & forgotten 3 year and 9 month stats

I have a problem. It is called Muffy is afraid of dogs. I am not talking about that fear when you prefer not to be around dogs and jerk back a tad when they start to get close, no, i am talking about true FEAR.

We didn't grow up around dogs, well we did but we never liked them. They were always kind of an outsider. I don't see dogs in the park and feel that overwhelming desire to pet it, in fact, I barely want to look at it.

This is not the problem with Ivy. Trust me I wish it were. The problem is much deeper. Ivy is terrified of dogs. She hears the dog next door from the locked backyard and runs inside, and I am usually lucky to even get her outside. Mostly she just stays inside and repeats that Kobi is going to get her. Which in turn makes me continuously repeat things like: Kobi can't get you, Kobi can't open doors, Kobi is not going to bite you, Kobi is not coming. Usually when we go outside she stays in. We ate lunch outside yesterday knowing the dog was locked in the backyard, she mostly held her food and watched the fence, begging to go back in.

She can enjoy herself if she knows he is gone. Then the old outside girl comes back. It is just so sad.

This is all not much of a mystery. I know why. After all, if you were 1 and enjoying a sunny day outside while your dad held you and you looked up to see a German Shepherd racing across the street right at you, and you hear the dog barking and watch it bite your dad while he is still holding you, you might be afraid too.

So, I know she is afraid and I know why, but what do I do about it. She can't even go outside.

Therapy? Sneak over and let the dog run away in the night (mostly kidding)?

Help!

********************POST EDIT******************
Here we are again, forgotten stats where my kids will wonder why I hated them and didn't write down important things.  I wish I had an answer.  Anyway!
Ivy at 3 :
36 1/2 inches - 30%
30 lbs - 43%

Autumn at 9 Months:
25 1/2 inches tall - 3%
15 lbs 1 oz weight- 2%
44 cm for head - 50%

***************Sorry self for not writing this down*******************

2 comments:

Momma J said...

I'm so sorry Ivy is so terrified. The first thing that came to mind is a therapy dog - the kind they take into the hospital. They are gentle, quiet, loving and non-threatening. I think baby steps with a really good dog that just sits and doesn't come up to Ivy. Being in a room with a great dog can be the first step. Then watching children her age interact with a sweet dog. Also watching you interact with a dog (I know you don't want to) might help. This can't be fun for her, sweet girl.

Patti :) said...

I Had this same fear as a child, you may not remember but I was even afraid of your dog and would walk all the way around your yard to avoid getting close. The best thing that helped me, and I am still not sure of most dogs, is to find one that is very nice and small -non threatning in anyway. Let her watch her brother or you pet it and let her just be around it as much as possible to show not all dogs are out to get her or the ones she loves. It will take time and she may never get over her fear completly, but she will at least be able to go outside again.