Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Two Fears

Owen is afraid of two things 1. Wolves and 2. Food

Wolves. His fear of wolves is odd in that the only place he is constantly afraid he may run into one is upstairs. For example: "Owen, please go get your pajamas on."
"Can someone go with me?"

"Possibly in a minute, but just run up quick and grab them."

"But what if I see a wolf in my room"

We have this conversation once a week and sometimes more. It has also been known to be on a much more dramatic level and even accompanied by tears.

Luckily I feel confident he will never find a wolf in his room so hopefully he outgrows this.

Food: He is the pickiest eater I have ever met (even beating out his cousin Evan but maybe right up there with my brother as a child). However, Owen goes beyond picky. He is afraid.

He has been known to pack up his lunch at school before he is done because the person next to him was eating something that smelled funny. He won't sit by Ivy when she is eating something like black beans or hummus. He won't eat canned peaches from the store anymore cause once he saw a little red thing on them (yep, the skin). He inspects every bite of something he is not used to to make sure a suspect food did not make its way in. And the time I put a piece of avocado on his neck you would have thought it was a bug. He turned all red and started crying and breathing hard yelling at me to get it off while completely frozen.

Owen eats sandwiches, noodles, cereal, apples, pancakes, and grapes. There is not one vegetable he eats and his list of approved foods gets smaller each month. He has been known to eat three or four peanut butter and jelly sandwiches throughout the day for all his meals. We try I swear.

And while he may never run into a wolf, he will run into a bean or two in his life so I certainly hope this is a passing phase.

1 comment:

Momma J said...

It seems that with all of us creative, smart people, we ought to be able to come up with an anti-wolf magic pill, weapon, spell, etc that Owen can use to insure no wolves are upstairs. I could have given my sons a baseball bat and that would have taken care of it, but it seems Owen might need something less violent and more reassuring. It reminds me of the Adam Sandler movie - "Big Daddy" where Adam Sandler gives his boy the glasses to make him invisible.