Monday, February 20, 2012

Is There Anything Left?

That baby of mine was so nice and happy and although she woke occasionally in the night to eat, she would easily go back to sleep.  Then, when she turned about three months old, all of that changed. 

About the same time that changed, I started eating a lot of eggs and string cheese and protein drinks to go along with my boot camp class in an effort to lose the baby weight (which I am 7 pounds away from – go me!).  Suddenly, little baby was really unhappy a lot of the day, cried a lot at night, stopped pooping and just acted physically uncomfortable. 

It took awhile to realize that Ivy was allergic to dairy when she was a little baby and I really only figured it out because she was eating “real food” and threw up every time she ate dairy.  Autumn started acting a lot like Ivy had.  There was a little denial on my part to in the beginning.  One cause it is hard and two cause I feel like maybe I seem a little crazy and obsessed. 

So, on December 30 I stopped eating dairy and eggs to see what happened.  Within a few weeks, she stopped being stuffy.  She had been stuffy since she was born and had a lot of mucus in her throat which made her cough a lot at night.  She also had dry skin all over her body which started improving.  And most importantly, she started sleeping during the night again, waking up just a few times to eat but able to go back to sleep easily. 

Well, I did it before, I could do it again.  She did still had some dry skin and still woke up a few times in the night appearing to be in some discomfort, but the symptoms were definitely lessening.  Then, in an effort to continue to lose the baby weight, I replaced my dairy protein with a lot of soy protein.  (trying to eat a lot of protein thanks to my boot camp instructor’s nutrition plan for me).  I started drinking even more protein drinks than before.  I ran out of my drinks for about 4 days and realized during those days the baby seemed much more peaceful both during the day and at night.  After researching the new culprit, soy, I found that some absurd percentage of kids allergic to dairy are also allergic to soy. 

Now, I don’t eat dairy, soy or eggs, oh and broccoli cause there was that one time when I ate it and she had broccoli smelling gas the entire next day.  I do eat the same thing all the time and I eat for nutrition and not for fun and imagine how crazy and obsessed I feel now.  On the plus side it is helping me back to pre-baby weight, considering all the fun is gone and I discovered I do love Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk – delish!. 

The things we do for our kids. 

(and as a side note, I am going out for frozen yogurt with Owen the minute I can have it again)

_MG_3286

2 comments:

Cathy said...

So sorry you have to deal with this again - but I am really impressed with your desire to make your little one as happy and comfortable as possible. You are a good mom. Pam was allergic to milk and soy milk too. She did grow out of it over time but she still doesn't like milk or milk products very much. Must be something in the genes. Sounds like you are finding some great replacements and being very healthy to boot. GOOD JOB!
Love you,
Cathy

Patti :) said...

I am feeling the same way, I was put back on my Diabetic diet last week and although I am feeling better physically, it is depressing when meal times come around to only be able to eat the same things. I am also finding it is worth it to help our babies, but when it comes to our own health it is a lot harder to stick to these special diets lol. Good jopb and keep up the good work on your bootcamp!!