Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Snow and Toys

Christmas has come and gone, and you know, it barely feels like it happened at all.  Oh wait, I just took a peek at the playroom and saw the toys overflowing off the shelves and out of boxes and I remembered that it did.

I love the magic of Christmas morning.  There is nothing quite like that first image of the tree and all of the carefully wrapped presents underneath.  But, despite the magic, I swear I am going to do a little less the next year – seeing that we don’t need half of what we get and my children are overwhelmed.  But here comes the problem, I can’t do that.  I just keep going and going.  I see little things that I know they will like and I get it.  I just keep buying and buying. 

And then I am left with the aftermath of that problem: Toys that have no where to go!  We have all the old toys taking up space, and now on top of that, we have a basketball hoop, a tricycle that is used to cruise around the kitchen, toys still in boxes, a police station Playmobil set carefully laid out on the coffee table, a box full of unopened other boxes, a shopping cart, sleeping bags, remote control dogs, a really awesome tent that can’t come out cause there is no room, and the list goes on and on and on.  A lot of toys, all without a home. 

For today, who cares, we sure had a fun Christmas and all those new things fit fine around the edges of the room.
IMG_7468IMG_7469
IMG_7480
Then, we have Greg’s new toy: iPod Touch.  Owen just said, “poor us, we haven’t seen dad all day since he went to Arizona (go Hawks!) and now he just sits here on his iPod Touch.”  He has been home all night and just now Owen said, “he just got back and hasn’t even said hi!”

Enough said about that toy.

And me, I have a new Kindle and I am excited.  I have proclaimed as of late, that I am cutting back on my tv watching.  Well, I am still going to keep watching the shows I adore and of course BridalPlasty.  Typical reality show: challenges to be won, someone gets voted off each time, final prize = a dream wedding.  HOWEVER! the winner of each challenge wins a …Plastic Surgery of their choice! Totally awesome and addicting.  Sunday nights on E if anyone wants to join the fun.  I digress of course, back to the point.  I saw Kati’s Kindle and became intrigued.  I went back and forth and back again wondering if I would use the little thing and I couldn’t get it out of mind.  And then…Merry Christmas to me from my dad.  It arrived today and now I am just deciding, white or black.  I hope white since I am dying to take it out of the box.

And now the snow.  We woke up today to snow.  I had no idea it was coming.  That is strange considering I love to look up the weather.  Anyhow, the kids were happy and ventured out nice and early.  The little one didn’t last as long as the big one.  I was getting some work done and heard a faint sound that sounded like “mama”.  I kept talking on the phone and working.  “mama”.  Working, talking.  “mama”.  Working and now wondering.  “mama”.  I head to the door and open it up to find one freezing baby done with the snow and ready to come in.  She made it through her first day playing in the snow.  She didn’t go back out and Owen didn’t really come back in for hours. 

I wonder how it feels to be a kid and wake up and think – oh my heck, snow!! I am going to go out and frolic in the cold.  I may think the snow sounds fun, but it certainly wasn’t the first thought in my head this morning.
  IMG_7541IMG_7544IMG_7549
(yes that is snow on its way to Ivy’s head)

So, there we have it.  Christmas was a success, being a kid is awesome on so many levels, the iPod Touch has taken Owen’s dad away, I can’t wait to read books and trashy tv is sometimes so necessary. 

Oh, and Owen just walked up to me and said – mom are you pregnant? I am not and that was weird and slightly uncomfortable. 

And that is us at the moment.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Looks like a fun Christmas! Ok, and so you know, Owen must really want a baby (two actually). When he was here last week, he just announced to us that you were having two babies and he was going to have another brother and sister. He kept talking about it so we asked if there was a baby in your tummy, he said he didn't think so but probably soon. Watch out, he's making plans . . . :)

Jen said...

Oh my heavens!! Good to know what happens when he leaves the house.