Sunday, December 5, 2010

Deep Breath

I am not crafty by nature.  By that don't mean I don't love it, nor do I mean I can't do it, I mean I don't read the words 'cut your piece of felt 22" x 37" ' and immediately think, if I fold this fabric in half and measure that and lay it on my flat mat and take my roller blade thing and cut it, that will give me another straight edge.  I think, ok, lay out my large green felt and measure across 22 and then up and down 37 and then I will have a perfectly straight rectangle.  I think if I cut it the way it happens in my head, I may have more of a parallelogram than a rectangle. 

I love to do stuff and eventually I get it done, but I admit, I struggle. I love to craft with Mary Angie Poppins.  "Now lay it on the ground and find the straight edge and fold it in half, now take this tool and measure it again, now do this and this and so on and so forth."  My projects look great on Saturday night craft night.  This time I am taking on the task ALONE. And by alone, I mean sewing with my brand new never been used hardly know how to work sewing machine.  I am afraid. 

Just to remind the public and my future self where I stand:
Emilee's and Angie's advent calendars = Done.

Jen's advent calender =
 





Yes, I struggle.

It doesn't help when I am trying to measure a straight line and cut 4 3"x 22" strips to have Ivy standing on my material with her boots on and start dancing. It certainly doesn't help to have Owen take away Ivy's candy and throw it on my work in progress. I struggle enough without them. Ivy ran away with my scissors and almost cut my scarf and Owen went running through the room to end up falling on my ready to pin felt. I struggle so much more with them.

So tonight I had had enough. 8 3"x 22" inch strips later with 2 to go (note above requirement) and I called it a night. Well, actually I called it a night forever. I think my exact words were, "I am done, I am not making anything for you ever again." Awesome, I know. And then I sulked on the couch and forbid Owen from talking while he was forced to go to sleep. And then I took a deep breath, kissed his sleeping head, held Ivy to sleep, watched Parenthood and realized the error of my ways.  Next time I will take a break after the first 4 strips.

Owen responded to this madness by saying, "if you are mean to me one more time, I will not snuggle with you".  Awesome again.
I will make an advent calendar for my kids and we will hang it up by Christmas. Oh, and it will be amazing!

2 comments:

Kathi and Bob said...

Hang in there. I give you credit for even trying as I have not one inch of creativity in my body. Having little ones is a NEVER ending endeavor, but it certainly is worth it. I know your advent calendar will be lovely!

Angie said...

I love that you are still making it. :)

You will be fine. You only have the easy part left. (remember how easy all the "ones" were on your amazing little machine!) :)