Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It will be fine

Owen came in a few minutes ago and asked me if he and his friend could dig a hole.  First of all, thank heavens they came in and asked, so, they asked and I gave them a place to dig. 

I am sitting here now at my desk, gazing out the window at the two kids digging.  I can promise they have deviated from their very small allowed space.  They are flinging dirt all over the place and laughing.  

My first thought is, oh, please don’t do that, wait, don’t dig there, watch out for that plant… Then I think, they don’t care about the plant or the flying dirt.  They are having fun being kids. 

And so I will let them dig too close to my plants because I love him and I love that laugh. 

1 comment:

Geoffrey said...

And sure enough, they were fine, right? What a wonderful mothering response, keeping the important priorities at hand! Awesome you can do that in the moment!