Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Fragile beast

I had that worst week a few weeks back. I am here to report that things are better, except I experience the worst week once a day!

Where is the line between typical three year old behavior and the realization that your child is a poster child for a behavioral disorder?

Today, I am pretty sure we crossed the line and moved into disorder. I picked her up from school and saw the all too familiar hands in her mouth and tilted head with something in her eyes. Most days she can't wait to leave, not the case today. She decided she didn't want to leave (heaven only knows why) and hooked herself to the fence. Mind you, this is the same fence that all the other children have to exit from and with Ivy hanging on to it, well, that just wasn't going to work.

With fear growing inside me and totally knowing where we were headed, I begged her to tell me what was wrong, to use words, to see Autumn, anything!

All I got - girl holding on tighter to the exit fence.

I knew what had to be done and I knew what was going to come from it. I picked her up while holding Autumn, peeled her from the fence and carried her kicking, screaming self to the car. She collapsed on the floor and refused to move her feet out of the way of the door.

So not only is she crying in front of the playground with all the moms walking by, but doing that with the door wide open!!

It only got worse. I tried to put her in her seat and could not get in her in. I had no choice but to tell her we were going to drive home without her in her seat and I hoped I would not see a policeman cause I would go to jail and be gone forever. She forced me to do that.

A beast entered my child, she attacked me, bit my seat, and then got in.

About 40 minutes after this all started, it ended. It wasn't a bad day it was an episode.

She is very fragile and making me fragile!! We both need therapy.

4 comments:

Patti said...

This is actually very normal, or all 3-4 year olds need therapy.

Jen said...

That makes me so happy! It probably happened with Owen and I permanently blocked it out cause it was so hideous.

Momma J said...

Sounds normal to me too. Sometimes kids have an agenda that they can't express (or else they're getting sick). Child development experts labeled it this way...terrible twos, trusting threes, frustrating fours, fascinating fives. However, my kids were always off by a year. Your three year old has moved into the frustrating fours...because she is so crazy smart! She's got us all beat I'm quite sure. I never remember what came after the fives, probably because things just leveled out! I love your kids! Hang in there - we've all been there!

Kathi and Bob said...

I enjoyed my kids most when they entered kindergarten...life from K-6th grade was such fun and then junior high happened...ah well, eventually they will fall in love, get married, have kids (hopefully in that order) and then you'll have grandkids to JUST ENJOY! Hang in there, being a parent is most challenging thing I have ever done!