Friday, May 20, 2011

I am so Proud

The other night around 8:20, a miracle happened. Both of our children were asleep (not the miracle).  I was reading a book (not the miracle), the house was clean (house cleaner day, don’t get your hopes up, I didn’t clean it, that is not the miracle), and someone knocked at the door.  Odd.

I wiggled free from Ivy and answered the door to find the neighbor girl holding a measuring cup.  It was the day I had been waiting for!!  A neighbor borrowing something from me!  I silently held my breath as she started with her request.  All I could think in my head was, “please let me have it, please let me have it”.  She holds out her cup and asks if she can borrow a 1/2 cup…here it comes….. of vegetable oil.  I HAVE VEGETABLE OIL, I scream in my head.  It’s a MIRACLE.  The joy.  Not only am I not borrowing something from them, but I have something someone wants.  I am a now a true neighbor.  (For those that know me well, it is not unheard of for me to want to make cookies and have to set out to the store to buy the flour or sugar or more before I start; having what they wanted, was a big deal).

I race to the cupboard, offer to let her take the whole bottle to which she was very sure that the cup would work, and pour my ingredient into her little cup, fulfilling my neighborly duty of borrowing out a cooking ingredient. 

I closed the door and returned to the couch to read, all the while feeling so proud of myself for having vegetable oil in the cupboard.

1 comment:

Momma J said...

When I was a stay-at-home mom in Iowa City, I loved having neighbors who knew I had the ingredients in my kitchen to bake cookies! I always loved being neighborly!