Thursday, October 28, 2010

Lesson Noted

One Friday movie night a month or so ago we rented Hook.  Owen cried and cried telling me he hated movies like that, he hated Hook, he was not watching it.  I promised he would like it and even went so far as to tell him I would pay him $5.00 if he hated it. 

Of course, he LOVED it.  He has watched it a million times, we bought the movie, and he even decided the perfect Halloween costume would be Captain Hook. 

A month ago he found a black wig out of the package at Target.  It was the perfect Hook hair.  We bought a pirate hat and a hook and then a few weeks later we  bought a new hook, a shiny one this time.  He really needed it. 

I figured we had better get the costume going, after all, what good is Hook without the rest.  I saw pirate costume after pirate costume in all of the Halloween stores, but they were not right.  He knew exactly what he wanted.  I found a costume that would work at Target.com but it seemed like too much money for what we would get.  I figured I would get the best deal on eBay.  So, Owen and I searched and found the one we wanted.  There were no bids – obviously because the shipping was so much, but it seemed like the best one. 

I won the auction against myself and paid $32.50 for shipping and the costume.  I bought it on a Tuesday night.  I never heard from the seller and emailed a few frantic messages asking if it had been shipped.  On Thursday I received a response from the seller, “send today Thank you”.  Hmmm.  Ok, thanks? I emailed a few more frantic messages asking for the tracking number and never heard anything back, but I did get a package delivered on Saturday from a Spanish speaking name.  The costume had arrived.  I called Owen to let him know the costume was here and he let me know that he was dancing around cause he was so happy. 

I opened the box and it was terrible.  It had a smell that was unbearable to a dog nose such as myself, sort of funny smelling home meets incense meets flowers.  It was also a little scruffy, even a tad dirty.  Oh no, what was I going to do!  He couldn’t have THIS costume! I put it outside to rid of the smell but as I looked at it and continued to smell this odd smell, I knew something must be done.  I hopped online and went to Disneystore.com.  The funny smelling eBay costume came from there so I would just see what was available.  They were having a sale of the same costume… $28.00 rather than $40.00 plus $4.95 shipping plus tax.  Perfect!! In a state of panic, I hit buy and realized then I should have checked the delivery schedule.  Oh well, I had ordered all kinds of things lately for the trip, camera bag/purse (totally love by the way), swimsuits (love again) and they both came within just a few days.  It was Saturday, I had a week.  So, $39.15 later, I had a brand new, clean, happy smelling costume for my child.  I called him and told him the costume was exactly what we had anticipated and we would get a different one. 

On or about Monday, I received an email with my shipping information: Your package has been sent.  Scheduled delivery date: 11/1.  11/1!!!!!!  Oh dear, I knew what was next: Disneystore.com, search: Captain Hook, oh, bonus it is now $19.99, click expedited shipping for $19.95 plus tax, total $43.50 and submit. 

On or about Wednesday – what turned out to be the world’s most expensive costume arrived on my door step.   (I forgot to mention that we bought an additional Hook hat at the Disney Store on Sunday to add to the tab, therefore making the first hook and hat just extras – awesome.)

Whatever the cost, I do know one thing, it was totally worth it!

IMG_6175

4 comments:

Bits & Pieces said...

Love Owen's 'Aargh' Hook face. It could totally be one of those adds: $32.50 for smelly, dirty costume on ebay, $37 for new, clean costume, $40 for costume with expedited shipping...look on child's face - priceless!!! And just think, he'll probably need that 2nd costume eventually as I'm sure he'll wear the first one out or when he has friends over they can both be Hook. You are such a great Mom!

Momma J said...

You Jen, are the epitamy of true, mother-love!

Momma J said...

What the heck is epitamy? What I meant was "You Jen, are the epitome of true, mother-love" Geezzzz!

Joyce said...

That is the CUTEST Captain Hook I have ever seen. What an original idea. Most boys are some star wars thing. It was definitely worth the money! What a cutie!