Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 6

Who knew that giving up this….

IMG_2590IMG_2591IMG_2594

Would give me this…..

IMG_2584-1IMG_2579-1

I have determined (with my own diagnosis of course) that Ivy is allergic to milk.  About a month ago she started eating yogurt.  She loved it.  About a month ago she also started throwing up.  Not even baby spit up, but real throw up.  Kid throw up.  I didn’t give it much thought and we went on our merry way eating yogurt. 

I started to notice a trend.  Yogurt = throw up.  I stopped feeding her yogurt and gave Kristi instructions to stay away from the milk products during her time with Ivy.  Things looked better.  I forgot to tell Greg to stop feeding her milk products and after returning home from yoga one night, I arrived to a happy baby eating cottage cheese.  Oh no.  An hour or so later she threw up and threw up again and again. 

I read about milk allergies, a symptom of which being vomiting.  It also stated irritability.  Ivy has slept horribly most of her life.  The milk protein passes through breast milk.  I stopped eating dairy for a few days and for the first time ever she slept better.  She was also a different child through the day.  She played all day, she napped, she let me leave the room without breaking into a cry that would convince any outsider that the world was ending.

It takes 2 weeks to completely eliminate the milk protein but we noticed an immediate difference. 

I of course  needed to eat dairy stuff on Superbowl Sunday.  Besides, I had convinced myself that I was crazy. Dairy all day Sunday and Monday and by Tuesday she was crying all night and wanting to be held all day.  I stopped eating dairy on Tuesday and she is happy. 

It is hard.  I admit, I had a brownie on Wednesday and one M&M and some soup with Cream of Chicken.  Thursday I ate two Mini-Eggs.  Friday I was good.  Saturday I ate corn on the cob with butter and one square of a Hershey’s dark chocolate bar.  Sunday I ate a chocolate chip cookie and some of the dough.  And all of those days I have thought about cheese, about cereal with milk, about Mini-Eggs, about yogurt, about ice cream. It is like a drug.  I am going through withdrawals.  However, I did discover I eat better (well at least I did until I realized I can eat Oreos).

At least another week to go.  That gives me 2 weeks with no (or limited) dairy.  Then I will see how she is.  All of this is making me re-evaluate myself.  Part of me secretly hopes I don’t nurse her for 25 months like I did for Owen.  Part of me hopes I am wrong and I can go back to my life I know.  Those are crazy thoughts for a piece of CHEESE!!

I wonder, can I do it? 

For this…I can

DSCN0061 (2)-1

It is just chocolate, right?

3 comments:

Critter said...

You should drink Soy Chocolate Milk. It is yummy!

Lori said...

It's only a few more months and if she can handle small amounts, maybe you can still have one or two of those little chocolate eggs sometimes. A few more months until you can wean and not have to go to that horrid formula (yes, I hate it, it stinks, stains, YUK). Not that you have to wean but you can and feel great about going a year.

Geoffrey said...

What a challenge, and yet what a lovely smile on beautiful Ivy! I know it is difficult to give up dairy, as I still like cheese. But for the health of such an adorable and healthy baby, I know you can do it! You are such an awesome mother!