Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Off to a Bad Start

I didn't get much sleep last night, Ivy was restless.  At one point I woke up with Owen snuggled on my back, Ivy laying across my stomach and Greg's hand on my leg.  As I sat there, awake, while they all slept and looked over at the large empty space on the other side of Greg, I felt a little like I wanted to crawl out of my own skin. 

So we sleep off and on.  She cries off and on.  I tell Greg to scoot everyone over to keep me sane. 

Eventually Greg gets up. 

Ivy finally settles down and starts to sleep.  I only have an hour before I have to get up.  I finally start to sleep. And then it begins.... BARK BARK BARK.  BARK BARK BARK BARK. BARK BARK BARK. BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK..... an hour and a half later... BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK. BARK BARK....pause.... just kidding. BARK BARK BARK BARK. BARK BARK.

I don't know dog etiquette, how long can the damn thing bark before I can go over there?  I don't know the neighbors but I know that I am going insane.  I opened the door and yelled at the dumb dog to BE QUIET.  He barked louder. 

Where are the people? I can only deduce they are dead.  Where are the other neighbors stepping in to stop the madness? I don't even know them.  The president of the home owner's association lives on the other side of the dog.  Where is he to enforce the covenants, those that say you can have an animal but he can't bark for 1 1/2 hours beginning at 6:45 in the morning!! I know they are there. 

I am going mad.  And! it doesn't help that I came down to find Greg cutting potatoes for his crockpot meal.  I sit here smelling onions listening to the dog bark.  I think the covenants of my house say that you cannot make meals in the crockpot that require onions. I have to smell onions simmering in the crock pot all day.  Now I will surely go mad. 

The only choice I have is to take the crockpot full of onions and feed it to the barking dog.  Sanity saved. All problems solved.  Brilliant.

(exactly one hour later from my original post and I am here to report... he is STILL BARKING!!)

2 comments:

Hansen Family Blog said...

Jen, I really feel your pain. We have a woodpecker that pecks on our house, just outside our bedroom, from about 7am till about 9am every morning. It drives me crazy. This only happens durring the winter. I only had about 3 hours of sleep all night long. I was about to get Danny's gun and go woodpecker hunting this morning. If it wasn't so cold outside I might have.

Geoffrey said...

I have to applaud you on your creativity of killing two barks with one onion!