Wednesday, July 1, 2009

And Now it is Done!


One day before her due date, everything was done and we were ready.

She was born yesterday (6/30/09) at 5:09 pm weighed in at 8 pounds 3 ounces and she was 20 inches long.

I woke up yesterday morning and it felt like any other day. I got up and showered, did most of my makeup, checked blogs, checked emails and got up to go downstairs and dry my hair. That was when my water broke. No contractions, just water breaking. Since I felt fine, I figured I would hurry and dry my hair and finish my makeup (I really didn't want to go with scruffy wet hair and no mascara). Owen was just waking up. I let him know baby was on her way and we had to head to the doctor. He wanted to get dressed in something without buttons, he chose his big brother shirt on his own and his favorite black sweat like pants. He lifted up my shirt and told the baby he was sorry she had no name yet. He also asked why I had to go to the bathroom a million times before we left. I explained that there was water inside that was protecting the baby and since she was going to be born, it was coming out. He started to gag. Lovely.

I packed the essentials on our way out. 1. Owen. 2. Owl. 3. Camera 4. Camera Charger Just In Case and 5. Little Laptop. (that is all, no clothes for either of us, no contact solution, no glasses, no toothbrush). Just the essentials.

We jumped in the car and headed off to pick up Greg. I arrived at Greg's work and after a few threatening texts and an unanswered phone call we almost left him. Luckily he came out just in time. We arrived at the hospital and we were told to take a seat while they checked me in..."No thanks, I will just stand". Not nice to sit on the couch when you are all wet. Gross perhaps, but nothing I could do about it.

Noni was at the hospital to meet us and take care of Owen as I promised him he could come. We checked in and forever waited to be admitted. They checked me and confirmed my water had broke (huh, you think?) and eventually we were moved to our room. We waited some more, still no contractions. By now it was about 12:30, my water started to break at 9:30 and we had been at the hospital since 10:30. They finally checked to see if I was dialated more than a 2 (from my previous week's appointment). I was a 5. The nurse started the petocin and said to tell her when I wanted the epidural.
A room with a view


The petocin kicked in and I started feeling the contractions. By 3:30 it was too much to bear and I asked for the pain medicine. The nurse brought in a pain medicine to give me while we waited for the epidural. It did nothing. I am not even sure of its purpose. It made me really dizzy and the pain stayed. Luckily the anesthesiologist was right behind her and came in to do the epidural. The contractions were horrible and not even my yoga breathing could help. The epidural was in by about 4:30 and I kept telling them that I was feeling a lot of pressure. Both the nurse and the anesthesiologist seemed to know something I didn't and started moving around a little quicker. With the epidural in and me stating in a loud panicky voice that I felt a lot of pressure, the nurse checked me for only the 2nd time all day and said I was fully dialated and having the baby. Everyone was moving fast, doctor was suddenly there, the pressure was horrible (with Owen I didn't feel anything so this hard pressure was new to me). I started pushing and with the help of the suction thing she was born at 5:09. The nurse informed me that I almost didn't get the epidural had she known I was that far along. Thank heavens for checking me AFTER. Bless that nurse. (and I have no idea what I was waiting for).

Little black footprint feet


They asked Greg if he wanted to do anything for the delivery or cut the cord, we both replied NO and informed them he would simply stay up top and hold my hand.




She is sweet and sleepy. I am sore but ok.


Owen survived his night without me. He informed me last night as he was leaving that he was actually going to cry. He did, I did. I missed him. He called me from the bed with his dad and said there were actual tears going down his cheeks. They are on their way in now. Baby is asleep and I am loving free Wi-Fi in the hospital.


Owen seemed to love his sister, he kissed her and said we get to take her home. He said he couldn't even believe he had a sister.


I can't believe it either. And now we will move on and get better and figure out our life of being 4.
(right after we figure out her name)

11 comments:

Emilee said...

So cute. I want to be there soooo bad.

Critter said...

Hooray!! Congratulations!

Kelli said...

She is beautiful. I am so happy for you!

Patti :) said...

She is so cute!! Congrats, sounds like a good delivery-wasn't all of that Gestational Diabetes nonsense worth it?

Cathy said...

Congratulations and welcome little one! She is beautiful and Owen is so cute with her. You look great and so does Greg! I am so happy for you! Keep us updated on the name!
Love you tons,
Aunt Cathy

jettsons said...

Congratulations! And such a wonderful post! She is beautiful and Owen looks so happy, as does Greg. I can't wait to see her in person!

Joyce said...

Wow congratulations! I love all the details of how you went into labor and the birth etc. It sounds like it went relatively smoothly. We are so happy for you. Owen is so cute with her already. Good luck adjusting. It takes time to get used to having two but you'll love it.

Kathi and Bob said...

Big congrats to you, Greg, and Owen...what a beautiful baby girl you all have now. Can't wait to have a turn to hold her. Enjoy this special time as a family.

Lori said...

She's beautiful! I'm impressed you could deliver one that big (you are so tiny). Congrats! I can't wait to see her and hear her name.

Nanci said...

Surprisingly Greg makes extremely cute babies. j/k Greg. hahah. I hate you!

She DOES look just like Owen, only a girl. SOOOO cute. I almost died when I saw the pic Greg sent my mom.

And seriously, she looks so big!

Heather Jones said...

Jen and greg congrats!! She is so dang cute I love owen with her! I am glad all went good.