Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Winter Trip to the Zoo?

Owen and I headed to the zoo the other day to buy Grandpa an owl of his own for Christmas.

December 23, 2008.

Just an ordinary day before Christmas. That is true any other year. This year December 23, 2008 was still a day that we could barely get out of our driveway, a day that we could barely get down the street, and a day when the mounds of snow had started to become too much. To the zoo we go.

We found the required owl, we put backs mugs for Noni, Steve, and Kiki, we picked up a stuffed turtle grandpa really wanted, we put back books for grandpa, Felix, and Robee, we picked up a frog for Linda at Greg's work, we put back mugs again for Noni, Steve, Grandpa, Kiki, Robee, Felix, Ben, Kelsey, Daddy (yes, he was holding them all and luckily they were plastic). Finally our shopping was done.

After paying for the necessary owl, unnecessary but darling turtle, and small frog, Owen asks me if we can go look at the elephants. I explain to him that we have been there a really long time and we weren't going to buy anything for him. He said that he already knew that and he wanted to go look at the ones outside. Could he really mean the ones outside? I told him it was very cold. He didn't care. He had thought of everything, he said he would just put on his hood and then he would be fine. To the elephants we go.

We were the only ones there. In fact, when we got to the zoo, they told us to come in. We saw ELEPHANTS, HIPPOS, and ICICLES.

I love Owen, I love 3......And that is why I went to the zoo on December 23, 2008.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

That's some crazy weather for Seattle - it looks like Utah! :D) We also went to the Zoo for Christmas, but we went to see the Zoo Lights - it was fantastic. Love the animals and getting to see them at a different time and in a different environment was great! Our kids really do stretch us and give us great opportunities to experience things we normally wouldn't. It sounds like you are feeling better!
Love you,
Aunt Cathy

jettsons said...

I wish I went to the zoo now! What a unique experience created by youth and a mom's willingness to go with it!

Momma J said...

I love your writing Jen! I know I have said it before, but I see a book in the making..... I am so glad you and Greg are Owen's parents - what a sweet family! I can hardly wait for the upcoming new little adventure!
Love you all.
Jayne