Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday Stroll

Owen went out to the barn in the backyard with Ben and Felix and Robee today. I was downstairs looking at my room wondering when I was going to clean it. At one point the thought crossed my mind...wow, Owen has stayed in the barn a long time today. That was the first clue. I came upstairs to see what was going on and I found Felix and Robee sitting at the table together enjoying some cheese sticks. I said to them without much concern, "Where is Owen". Response: "We don't know". That was the second clue. I proceed with my questioning, "What do you mean you don't know". Response: "He left the barn a long time ago". Um, this is not good. I look down at my phone and I have a text from Kelsey 35 minutes ago...Did Owen make it back inside yet?

I don't totally panic because he loves playing outside on his bike and playing with the dogs. I glance out the back window and I see two dogs and a little boy down by the POND! He is throwing fish food into the pond and feeding the fish. AHHHHHH I scream to Felix and Robee, he is feeding the fish!! I get my shoes and go out to get him. I see the entire fish food bucket dumped out on the ground and Owen throwing cups of food in. I explained he cannot be by the pond without a big person. He said he was just feeding the fish, that is all. Then he motions over to the OTHER side of the pond and says, "Mommy, can in water". I look and see a big bucket in the water. I say to him "How did that get in the pond". He says to me "Owen kicked it in". This was so much worse than I initially thought.

I cleaned up as much fish food as I could, checked around to see if any fish were floating yet from having eaten too much and informed him we were going inside. We came in and had a talk about going out to the pond. I told him he could fall in the pond and if I wasn't out there with him, something terrible could happen. He said he wanted to give mommy a big hug. On one hand that made me feel better and a little less angry, but on the other hand, that made me all the more scared of what could have happened. He said "I not do that anymore". I am sure he meant he will not do that until the next time he does it.

The older he gets the more confident and all knowing he seems to become.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Scary! It is amazing how quickly these little ones can disappear. So glad you found him and that he didn't try to "rescue" the bucket. Hang in there - this mothering business is tough.
Love you tons,
Aunt Cathy