Tuesday, February 19, 2013

It is kind of annoying

So, on my quest to feed myself and my kids non-GMO, real food, I have to break through a 7 year-old who gags when he looks at food and I am here to tell you, it is not going well.

I feel bad, his ranch is gone, his syrup is gone, his old chicken, 3 cheese tortillini, and ketchup, gone gone gone.

Now don't get me wrong, he eats better, but I wouldn't say he eats healthy. There are still no vegetables, not even one. His meals are always the same, I have just replaced everything with the organic, non-GMO version. He gets bunnies instead of goldfish, organic pretzels instead of not, organic bread instead of that one we loved from Fred Meyer.

I read blog sites about the picky eater and it really is so annoying, they act like they will just eat it. Or, that adding a dip will make them like veggies. I am here to tell you and all of them that it doesn't work like that.

I went to a party on Sunday where we cooked a healthy meal together, I asked the instructor chef what she does to have her kids eat it. She replied by telling me they love the food and actually ask for it. That is less than helpful. Hello? There is absolutely no instruction in that in case you thought there may be. Let me promise you that Owen is not going to love a black bean, guacamole, sweet potato taco.

Owen was crying tonight because he wanted pizza from Whole Foods. Through his tears i was informed he has nothing to eat. He can't eat his chicken cause he hates the ketchup, he eats noodles every night, and he didn't want macaroni again, there was nothing left. (See, I wasn't kidding, those are his dinners and we need work. )

I recently read not to cater to the picky eater, I am also pretty sure I could find something that says not to starve your child.

Owen comes from a long line of picky eaters, I mean honestly, how much worse does it get when Ben used to eat miracle whip sandwiches, a salad to me meant only white lettuce and ranch until just a few years ago, and up until a few years ago, I can't recall ever seeing my mom eat a vegetable.

He is doing a fabulous job in keeping with tradition but can't he love something as simple as a carrot?

3 comments:

Momma J said...

All I know is that there were many people who said not to use M&Ms to potty train children. I used them anyway and my kids were potty trained in 3 days. You have a growing son - so you may have to cater to him every now and then. Kids tastes change all the time as they grow up. A few years of eating most of the right foods is so much better than eating all the wrong food for many years. Maybe you can trade some ranch dressing once in a while for eating one carrot once in a while! Kids understand negotiation really well!! Good luck - I hope you continue to find things he likes!

Kati Leigh said...

Do you guys ever make homemade pizza? I bet the kids would have fun doing it - everyone gets to make them their way! I saw a recipe for homemade pizza dough on one of those blogs you sent me - I've been wanting to try it too. I think you could make a bunch and freeze it. After the marathon, let's get together and try it! :)
(There are a lot of things from the blog I want to try!)

Cathy said...

I remember having you guys over to my house and making spaghetti, Ben absolutely refused to eat it. I told him that this was dinner he could eat it if he was hungry or he could go without. He told me his mom would have made him a Dorito sandwich with miracle whip. WHAT!? Sadly he went without dinner until he was picked up later that night, I'm sure he got a Dorito sandwich when he got home. LOL! You are taking on a huge job as you change your eating habits and those of your family. My hat is off to you - I'm sure it is not only difficult to find some of these meals but also more expensive. I hope it all turns out okay - keep us updated!
Hugs!