Thursday, January 9, 2014

A new year

Here we are, 2014. 

I entered the new year wondering if I should set any yearly goals and then quickly decided against it and here is why: I have to have a certain number of CLE hours to keep practicing law, 45 hours every three years to be exact. On December 27 I realized that my hours were due this year by December 31st and after further investigation, it became clear that I needed 31 hours of CLE in 5 days. Those 5 days were beyond sucky. 

So what does this have to do with a 2014 goal? Well, I envisioned myself cramming for my goals similarly to the mass watching of online CLE hours. I realized if I committed to running 4 5k races, I would be setting up a line and a cheering squad for myself outside my house. I would be handing out to myself a t-shirt that I made and pinning my homemade bib on. And not only would I do this, but I would do it 4 times- on December 31st. 

Or perhaps if I set a goal to learn 5 sentences in Spanish, I would be bunkered down with my Rosetta Stone and my headphones while the rest of the world gleefully screamed and shouted, Happy New Year!! 

I know myself. Year goals are not for me. I need something a little more attainable. I think I do better with monthly goals ( so what if I do those on the last day of the month all year). 

As of now, I plan to run a 5k per month (I dread that goal already, I mean, have you ever peed while you run? It is less than awesome and may be enough to cause me to abandon my goal. We shall see how things go early on). 

I plan to do another round of monthly adventures. 

I also plan to make sure I do at least 2 personal training sessions per month. 

If all goes well in January, I may even add something to that list.  I need to see if I can be trusted with these goals first. 

I may have to run to my personal training session on the last day of the month. 

Here's to a great year, procrastination and all!!!


No comments: